5/5/13

Current Event II.

For the second current event I have chosen another recent article about the newest Dove beauty campaign. 

Here is the link:

http://www.policymic.com/articles/37333/dove-beauty-campaign-not-enough-to-combat-body-image-issues


Although the article is not directly connected to children and boys, it is linked to adolescent girls and their perception of the ideal body image affected by the media. I personally find this article and campaign interesting so I wanted to share it with you although it does not include children and young boys.

This article is written by a 20 year old college student who describes her experience with watching the video for this recent campaign by Dove and she further expresses her opinions on the image issues. While you will read through this article you will find some interesting information and also personal comments on the issue and the campaign.

The idea of this campaign is that you are more beautiful than you think, which is strongly (and emotionally) demonstrated in the video I posted below and you can also find it on the website above.  


In the article you will also find different kinds of information, such as three out of four American adolescent girls feel depressed, shameful and guilty for the way they look after spending couple of minutes reading through a fashion magazine that features models, who weigh around 23% less than an average American female. The effects of the images given by the media are the following: 65% of girls and women claim different eating behaviors and 53% of 13 year old girls are upset with their appearance.

The intentions of this campaign are obviously not only pure, although the advertisement itself is different than the others, implementing the women-friendly strategy. Sadly, these kinds of advertisements do not reduce the hate of women towards their bodies. Further, I am sure that many women would agree with the author’s statement  “I would rather hear real women speak and actually appear to feel good about themselves than witness plastic-looking, dead-eyed models or worst of all, straight up violent misogyny.” 


Works Cited:

Zeilinger, Julie. "Dove Beauty Campaign Not Enough to Combat Body Image Issues." PolicyMic. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 May 2013. <http://www.policymic.com/articles/37333/dove-beauty-campaign-not-enough-to-combat-body-image-issues>.

No comments:

Post a Comment